Old 12-09-19, 12:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
I've been riding 28c tires on my winter/rain/city fix gear since I went clincher on it 20 years ago. Three summers ago I went to then new 28c Vittoria G+ and have been sold from the first ride. But it is not just the width. Those are very high quality tires. I've ridden 28c's that were crap and that I took off as soon as I could.

My good fix gear is set up on the G+ but with 28c in front and 25c in back. (It has traditional biggish ti chainstays. When the wheel is slid all the way forward on the dropout, 25c's are close ans 28c's don't fit at all. On a big hill day, I will bring both the 12 tooth and 24 tooth cogs and use the entire dropout. Until i need to do something tire related, I cannot tell that I have different tires front and rear, The bike just feels right. (Rode Cycle Oregon on it last September. Had no tire issues at all and never thought about them; except the morning of day 4. Wet and below freezing! Had frozen water maybe inside my tires, Until things melted, a very disconcerting ride. It had been so wet that going into that freeze dry simply wasn't possible. This guy who has ridden a half dozen car-less winters in Michigan and Massachusetts saw some new wrinkles!)

Us old timers remember the silk Clemente Del Mondo tubulars (probably 30c though no one measured or talked about width numbers then). They were the ultimate luxury ride. They were faster than any clincher of the day and many of the cheaper and lighter cotton tubulars. The big G+ tires are the closest I've ridden to those tires in many decades.

Yes, those tires I like, the G+ (and now G 2.0) are expensive. But I only get to go around this life once. I want to do it on nice rubber. (Plus those G+/G 2.0s grip better and crash less than many/most other tires, making this go-'round that much better.)

Ben