Old 09-16-20, 10:23 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Aluminum in aluminum won’t corrode either.
Not by galvanic action, but some corrosion will still happen, as you mention further:

For steel in steel and aluminum in aluminum, grease keeps another kind of corrosion down. We live in a world of salt...sweat, salt used for road clearing, and seawater being the main culprits..
I recently bought an aluminum bike with aluminum seat post, and when I pulled the seat post out it had some surface corrosion in the form of aluminum oxide on it. I suspect this was because the former owner used the bike in triathlons, and going from dripping wet from swimming to a bike caused water to seep down the seat post into the seat tube. Luckily there wasn't much corrosion which I was able to buff off with a wire brush, and I reinserted it after spreading a thin layer of grease on it.

I would assume the same would go for a steel seatpost in a steel frame. Let some water get in,and rust starts to become a problem. Putting some grease on the seat post helps prevent aluminum from becoming corroded to aluminum, and steel from rusting to steel.