View Single Post
Old 10-29-20, 04:40 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
KC--serious suggestion here.
When you are back home, it would be a good idea to have a good mechanic check your spoke tensions. I've kinda lost track of the timeline of your bike, but seems to me its new this year. Carrying so much stuff would have most likely loosened up spokes, so a good check over and retension is going to save money and grief/hassle in the long run if you get it done before you forget and head off again next year loaded to the gills.
The front rim is not stock, the rear is. Both front and rear wheel sets have been trued a few times. The bike was new in 2014 - so 6 years old now.

I did repack the bearings before the trek. I checked how true the wheels were before I left and they weren't worth adjusting.

I did have a bit of a wobble in the front yesterday that felt odd. I checked the front wheel and there was a little slop in the axle/cones/bearings so I tightened it up a hair and put it back on.

As far as spoke tension goes - I'll go over the wheels again in the off-season, no worries there. I do all my own work, between myself and another bike friend of mine. If there is something I don't have I work on things over there sometimes.