View Single Post
Old 11-11-20, 08:52 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by reburns
You’re wise to point out that there is variability across individuals regarding use of such pedals. I can only speak from my own experience, which doubtless is dominated by years of MTB on very technical north Idaho single track. Not being attached to the pedals in some way on such trails would be akin to skiing on skis without bindings. So I had a lot of experience using SPDs before I ever got on a tandem, and I would certainly not advise anyone to attempt piloting a tandem using pedals that they haven’t already become completely proficient using on a single bike. My own introduction to SPDs ended up with me lying on my side in my driveway with a bruised hip and unable to detach from my bicycle 🥴 But as best as I can recall the distant past, it did not take long to become comfortable with them, at least in my case.
Thank you. I appreciate it. Yes, I still vividly remember tipping over on my new Bianchi Limited with Look pedals. It took a while, but I was immediately "hooked" to them. This is after about ten years of road riding with toe clips and I had had enough of them. (But still before my mountain bike experience mentioned above.)

As someone who worked with novice, intermediate and experienced cyclists, I found over the years it almost doesn't matter which user group you worked with: a certain segment of them all would NEVER warm to clipless pedals. And I have no problem with that. Definitely use what makes you happy. (And yes, I have fought the current popular "discovery" of flat pedals off road.) I'll add that in 23 years of mountain tandemming with clipless, I have NEVER dropped my stoker wife. (I did, however, drop a novice on the back on a single track hair pin turn once. I'm embarrassed still to this day!

The stoker position is the IDEAL way to introduce a rider to clipless pedals if you ask me. Perhaps that cyclist will then go on to use them on their half bike. But I'm sure there would be a percentage of stokers who would never use them anywhere but on the tandem. Hey, whatever works!

PS I HATE the misnomer "clip in" pedals. I understand where it came from; I get it. But it was brought into existence by ignorance. Toe clips have been a tradition in cycling for well over a hundred years. Their position in cycling history is not in question. So when the industry finally finds a new, better pedal "technology," it has the prerogative to name that new technology. And it's called "clipless pedals." Don't like it? Too bad! Are you a new rider who doesn't understand? I DON'T CARE! It's "CLIPLESS PEDALS" whether or not you like it. Learn it. Use it. LOVE IT! And "clip in" pedals are TOE CLIPS by the wrong name! So, just please if you're new to cycling or pedals, just take a moment to learn the vernacular and USE IT CORRECTLY! And experienced cyclists should do everything in their power to banish it from existence!!!

/end rant
Likes For LV2TNDM: