View Single Post
Old 11-12-20, 09:21 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I am at 149lbs. For my road bike 24 spokes is enough then? I was thinking of going with the cheaper dtswiss 350 hubs. Since I want this to be nice rims and kick my current road rims to my gravel bike should I upgrade to the DTSwiss 240 ? There's a lot of hills where I live. I would prefer lighter over aero if I had to chose between the two.

My current road bike 2019 system six rims that I want to put on my gravel bike.
Hubs
Fulcrum Racing 400 DB, 12x100 front, 12x142 rear
Rims
Fulcrum Racing 400 DB, Alloy clincher, 35mm deep
Spokes
Fulcrum double-butted, Stainless, Bladed

Last question do these guys every sales? Should I wait for Black Friday? Or they never have sales just buy them now and enjoy.
Sean -
1) 24 high end spokes are over kill for you. I think those fulcrum are 16f x 21r big spokes. Traditional rims are super shallow by todays standards - like 14mm deep vs your 35mm rim. That bigger rim is WAY stronger than the shallow rim. The higher end spokes are also a more resilient than the basic ones (1.5x stronger and 4x more durable). As a result, you don't need as many to get a stiff durable wheel. I'm 200lb, I've broken quite a few wheels, and I haven't had an issue on 24x24 bladed spokes on modern rims after lots of abusive miles. Anyway 24x24 is standard disc brake.

2) DT 350 are not a low end hub. The DT 240 is the same hub with 60gr more material machined off the hub shell. The 240 does use the new EXP mechanism in back, which is louder than the old one. 60gr on a 10% climb is equal to a .5w power difference. I'd get the 350 hands down. 60gr isn't worth $250 and quieter is better. For $24, you can do their flyweight and take 100gr off the rim, which is better than taking it off the hub.

3) Sales.... not really - you can scroll through here . It's usually just clearing out old stock with highend hubs. It'll be $100 off some $1100 combination. I've looked elsewhere, their prices are about the lowest you'll find. Tip= the NA versions of the wheel are more expensive, but you save a lot in shipping and wait time. Consider the NA build.
Likes For jfranci3: