Old 12-03-20, 11:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
All 80’s MTBs were not created equal.

For example, U brakes were a bad idea and you can’t find a replacement set “absolutely anywhere.”
Under the chainstay U brakes were not a great idea and shortlived since they clearly were not a great idea. And yeah, you couldnt find a replacement one 'anywhere'. With that said, The odds of an entire U brake failing is incredibly small. If a straddle wire breaks, that can be replaced in most places. If brake pads wear out, those can be replaced in most places. If a brake cable snaps, that can be replaced in most places.
Its really basically all the same issues as a canti/pivot/v brake. The only difference is if the entire brake somehow exploded, you couldnt easily replace the entire U brake. At that point, if I were touring then I would be happy I survived such an insane incident that could have cause this nearly unprecedented event, and declare myself immortal. I would then just ride with a front brake until I came upon a shop that could replace the U brake or until I came upon the town I had shipped a U brake to.

There ya go- insane hypothetical situation resolved.
Likes For mstateglfr: