Old 12-05-20, 11:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
Interesting. For DH off-season I used a slide board. I believe the one I have is 8' or 10', though the stops are adjustable; for DH GS training you definitely want plenty of 'hold time' and a hard push. I no longer race DH GS though, face planting a salted, rock hard trenched-up course hurts too much, and all it takes is for a ski tip to be off by 1/2" on the wrong side of a gate. I just do the dollar runs at ski areas for fun, they're not steep enough and the gates are too close and courses too short and technical to pick up any real speed. Still use the slide board on occasion, it's kinda relaxing actually. Easy to roll up and put away over winter. Used one for 30 years ever since I was a teenager and played ice hockey. (I preferred DH skiing, but didn't live anywhere near a mountain.)
I feel like a good turn on skis takes a lot more balance and skill than anything I ever do on a road bike, probably easier to do something wrong and biff. Occasionally I get to go away and rent a MTB, that's a different game.

I got to do about 3k of vert over 5.5 miles today, but I had to ski up first. Earn your turns! Buddy got a picture of the fun today. There's a giant snow penis creeping around in the trees like a perv.