Old 12-27-20, 10:54 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by jingy2
OP-Can you post the original listing photo that caught your eye?
The photo is no longer online. What first caught my eye was the listing header "Women's Italian racing bike". Since I was searching for Italian parts I assumed it would have some, and also assumed it would be a smaller frame (possibly even a junior frame) so it peaked my curiosity. When I first saw the photo I really could not make out the brand until I took a closer look. It was written up as a Colnago bike 51-53 cm in the description. I could tell from the photo that it was a smaller frame than 51 cm and had what appeared to be Colnago decals; I assumed if a Colnago, it would be a lower model than a Super or it was not a Colnago, but just had those decals added; mostly due to asking price. I could not discern the color; I had to ask the seller what is was.

The added part of this story is the fact that the bike had been "purchased" before I called the bike shop for its specifics because of the lack of photographic details, and also since I lived 2.5 hours away and I did not want to drive without good cause. During his description of the bike another employee informed the person to whom I was talking to that the bike was already sold (which did not surprise me given the price). I said good day and figured that was the end of it and sent a message to the seller thanking her for her time and informing her that the bike had already been sold (why did she not already know?). Early the next morning (and I mean early!), I get a message from the seller saying she will be off during certain hours, and should she come to the bike shop? I was thinking she was confusing me with the actual buyer; I did not reply, but I did call back to the bike shop minutes after they opened hoping to hear good news. Apparently, the "buyer" never showed up or called so the bike was still available to first comer. Given that the shop knew I had already talked with the owner and I had already told the shop when I would arrive (before I was told it was sold), they assumed the seller would contact me due to my interest in it, and they were already holding it expecting me to show. I told the shop I was on my way, and would they please hold it until I got there; but they already were! Finally got back with seller during transit to give my arrival time frame if she wanted to meet. I got to the shop, and now seeing the bike clearly for the first time, was extremely impressed by it; it certainly exceeded my expectations after seeing it as a dim photo with a rack and the thick foam bar grip (obvious even in the poor photo). This time when I contacted the now previous owner to tell her that the bike was sold it was a fact. So I am lucky to have it; just needs a better set of parts even though it is not bad as it sits now without the rack, computer, reflector, saddle, and foam grip which were quickly removed; cleaning, quick maintenance and safety check before a ride with present set-up excepting a proper saddle. I know it needs about a 110-130mm stem for me, and might put 172.5-175mm cranks on it, smaller frames make better climbing bikes for me and I like the extra leverage of a longer crank on hills; I am not that large or heavy so it helps.

The photo below is modified to approximate only listing photo which was of the non-drive side, was much smaller in the picture frame, and was out of focus; thus making it useless to enlarge the photo. It looked like a photo of a photo if you know what I mean. It certainly did not help sell the bike. Good photos could have easily doubled the price; but the bike shop is to blame for the low cost since they told her that $1000 was too high (not for an asking price which I expect to higher than the selling price), and gave her an asking price that was so low I would not think of haggling about it; someone did make a lowball offer (could have been photo related) which was rejected (and rightly so!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20201224_124338~2.jpg (1,010.8 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by HPL; 12-27-20 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added info