View Single Post
Old 12-28-20, 11:06 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Bad crash tonight

I was on the final mile of a favorite ride tonight when I had a pretty darn bad crash. I was standing on my pedals climbing a hill when something in the drivetrain gave way with all the pedaling resistance disappearing in a split second.
I was applying so much force to the pedals that I ended up throwing myself over the handlebars and then the bike landed on top of me.
This isn’t the first time I’ve needed my wife’s skills as an RN🙄 and so glad she was there. Multiple broken ribs, deep cuts into my right elbow and knee (fatty tissue exposed)
One of the nicest surprises of the entire thing was how quickly numerous people came running over offering help. In this time of Covid it would not have surprised me if I was avoided but that was not the case.
I was loaded into the vehicle of a stranger who drove us the mile or so back to our own vehicle and then loaded our bikes into my truck for me.
The wife called her hospital to see how busy ER was and they were stacked to the ceiling with numerous serious patients so I told her to just go home. I’ve had broken ribs before, there’s nothing you can do for it.
Feeling pretty good at the moment with a strong Tequila Sunrise but I bet tomorrow morning is going to hurt😕
I was riding my ‘77(?) Peugeot PX60 that I’m very fond of. Clearly the front wheel is history, just hope nothing else is damaged.
[/img]

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-29-20 at 08:38 AM. Reason: no gore pics
Likes For Tomm Willians: