View Single Post
Old 01-17-21, 07:24 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by alecd
A new axle has arrived. Just concerned about replacing axle / bearings without being able to remove freewheel.

I’ll try removing just the drive side locknut first. The bent axle itself shouldn’t foul the remover tool.

I’m certain its a freewheel! No lockring present. Two pinholes to disassemble freewheel. Purchased a ’Shimano freewheel remover’ tool. It fits snugly well into freewheel body. Just slips with medium pressure. The Shimano cassette remover tool I also have definitely does not fit. I could compare number of splines and diameters.

If I remove locknut and axle from non drive side, what happens to the drive side cone? Does that come out through the freewheel?
Just leave cone and locknut tight on DS, remove the locknut AND cone from NDS, pull axle from DS. This will leave your distance set by the DS cone and you'll need to adjust bearing preload any way you do it. You'll need a pencil magnet to get the bearings out of the DS. A solid axle isn't as critical on axle centering just so there is enough outside the drop out on each side for the nuts, unlike a QR axle where the axle must remain inside the dropout on both sides.

Might just be a poor quality tool too.
Pictures/FW model/tool model would help people see your issue.