Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
It would be helpful to see a pic of the brakes on the bike. These may have a longer reach than the dia compe 500g brakes

Excuse the filth. What do u think?

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I believe the Dia Compe brakes that had no additional markings were just their basic model. Some of mine are "Schwinn Approved" which are unmarked and of unknown age. I have one on my single speed bike, it works just fine. I also have a "G" in my bin, doesn't seem to be materially different, but the aluminum seems to be more brightly polished. I did notice that there's a washer between the brake arms on both brakes, but mine are so old that I can't vouch for them having the original or correct parts any more. Some mixing and matching of parts may have occurred! On one brake the washer is thin metal, on another, nylon. I can see daylight between the brake arms on all of the sidepulls in my fleet.
Stamped 1080 on inside of caliper.

Washers are supposed to be there. I saw ones on the inside/outside of each arm, as well as two more between the outer nut.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yep, any current Shimano or Tektro dual pivot will provide a better experience.
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I guess some people love mediocrity. You might have had the wrong levers on your old GT. But flexy brakes when you need to stop are not good. That feeling you could be getting from those brakes is not ideal. There are much better brakes that will still give you a good feel.
I went out for another ride today, this time with just the rear brake installed.

They work pretty bad. Its especially apparent now that thre is quite a lot of flex.

Some newer sidepulls could be a good upgrade, But not necessary as long as I don't over speed.