View Single Post
Old 01-24-07, 08:04 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
QUOTE 1. How old is that derailleur? Looking at this 76 cyclone, it almost look possible to have the limit screw heads on the inside of the derailleur. i.e. have the head of the screw bottom on the stops on the derailleur. This will but you the thickness of the screw head. Crazy?

No, not crazy. I'd thought of reversing the screw, and it might work. There's physically room for it, but it would be hard to get it started because there's no finger space. You could probably do it with a hemostat or something. I think the thickness of the screw head might make the screw long enough, too. It would then be difficult to adjust, though, because the screw head would be inacessible. One option would be to use a hacksaw blade or needle file to cut a slot for a small slotted screwdriver in the flat end of the screw (the part of the screw that would be facing upward once the screw was reversed, if you follow me). That would allow for adjustment. That's the best option I can think of, and the one I was planning to try if no one knew where to find longer screws. It's beginning to look like I'll be giving it a try.

Just a thought: Does anyone know if Suntour used longer 4 mm screws with the same threading on other parts? A lot of b-limit screws, etc., seem to be that same 4mm screw with the .50 threading. If they used a longer screw somewhere, maybe I could salvage one somewhere...
JV