Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
i cited ways in which we are all distracted to the job at hand when driving in vehicles and compared those ways to riding with ear buds.

I see no difference between all of them.

If hearing is vital to safety and not being distracted when cycling, then the same should apply when driving on the same roads. I argue that a car's noise insulation combined with radio and/or conversation in the car effectively makes both activities(again- riding with buds and driving with radio/coversation) equal in terms of ability to hear traffic.
Yet it's perfectly acceptable to drive in an exterior noise reduced vehicle(less noise is actually a luxury that we pay for) and play the radio.

How is this not tracking for you?

And ultimately, none of this even begins to address the reality that I cant hear much of anything at 16mph or above when riding even without buds in. Wind noise alone cancels out most noise on roads.

...but we all must have our ears available when riding even though they really arent needed for driving and not much can be heard when riding due to wind. Ha- this thread is full of brilliance.**
I have no opinion about the safety of wearing earbuds while cycling. I have no judgement to pass on those that do vs. those that don't. It's merely a matter of preference as far as I'm concerned.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
How is this not tracking for you?
I think that making a false equivalence between driving a car and riding a bike undermines your argument. In my opinion – and dare I say, conventional wisdom – the risks and hazards between the two are vastly different.