Old 12-30-13, 04:47 PM
Niloc

Bikes: 80s Rodriguez handmade lugged steel road, 1996 Bianchi Reparto Corse cyclocross, 1982 Cyclepro mountain bike, Xtracycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started racing 'cross this year in the Seattle area having never done any competitive cycling before, although I had done a lot of mountain biking in the past and I ride a fair amount on the road a lot these days for commuting, for exercise and some group / charity rides. I summarized my "old newbie's" first season in the CX racing forum, you might find it of interest, but it's a bit long winded as well ;-) http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...s-first-season

My first race was in a wide open beginner's category in Seattle and I finished in the top quarter, however when I entered a couple events in the more serious CX series around here as a Masters 35+ Cat 4/5, it was a different story. Much more competitive and some of those guys has lots of CX experience and were obviously former or current roadies as well. I managed to stay in the middle finishing, but it was a struggle. My worst finish was on a fast course with no run-up, only one barrier and a long straightaway and a long climb. I.e. pedal hard like a bastard the whole time. I did better on the next course which had many more obstacles. So I think my corner technique etc is decent. Three things I'm working on improving? That's easy: fitness, fitness and fitness. Yeah my remount sucks too, but if I could keep 75% of my first lap pace on the last lap that would far overshadow any technique improvements I could make.

I've been road riding more and I'm going to try to step up my game there and throw in some hill pounding intervals, figuring those will be equivalent to the constant sprinting required in 'cross. I'll have to consciously force myself into doing some max intervals rather than just the sustained effort to ride 20-30-40 whatever miles.

You probably don't need to gear your bike any lower, after all that isn't going to improve your position, you just need to train / dig deep etc so you can pound through the gears you have. It is a definitely a head game too, I mean why are you putting yourself through this agony, right? But ok one more lap, push, push, go dammit, I can collapse at the finish, doesn't that mean I did it right?

I go for it on the first lap too, and then fight like hell to keep my position. After all nobody likes to give up a status once obtained, and it is generally easier to be in front and pick the best line on the course to stay ahead of your attacker than to be behind trying to summon the burst of energy to overtake and find somewhere on the tight course to do it.

Still and all it is pretty damn fun isn't it?