Old 07-01-20, 02:04 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
How to get a flat tire

This morning I was out on one of my morning rides, later these days to avoid the MUP crowds. I stopped on the way back at Walden Park since I knew there would be a picknick table in the shade there. After making a couple phone calls then I took my bike down the the path to go. Right away I could feel a thump thump and stopped. 26"x1.5 Schalbe Marathon tires. So I got right off and went back to the table. (rule number 1) Have a nice place to work on the tire. I could have just walked home, maybe a half mile but I hadn't had a flat in about 3 years so I wanted to know if I could still do it.

Settled in at the table. Took my bag off the rack. Released the back v-brake. Flipped the bike over with the handlebar in the grass. Used my antique adjustable wrench to loosen the wheel. Used my handy piece of spoke to release the 8 speed cable from the Alfine hub. Yanked the wheel out of the dropouts, moved the chain out and took the wheel out.

Rested the wheel down next to the bench (see rule 1). This tire had been on there for a while so it was easy to remove. I first released all the air pressure and then ran my hands around the tire to unstick the tire from the rim. After that was pretty loose then made sure all the pressure was out and pealed off the tire with my hands.

I ran my fingers around the inside of the tire but didn't feel anything sticking out. Pumped up the tube and it wasn't holding any air. Gave up on that old tube and got out my spare. I decided the new tube was the way to go. Pumped it up a bit and then put it into the tire just to give it some shape.

Put the tire back on the rim, rice to have a tire that's run for a while. Used my hands to get the tire with tube nicely onto the rim. Pumped up the tire and made sure it was all around even. Put the wheel back into the dropouts and reconnected the shift cable. Not any issues there despite internet experts who pronounce that Alfine wheels are hard to change. Put the v-brake back.

Pumped up the tire until it felt pretty good. Got on and rode home. Just for fun I passed a couple people on the MUP. Some issues for the home shop of course. But happy to know I can take care of my self.
Likes For Joe Bikerider: