Old 06-25-16, 05:56 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Saturday -- 47.7 km with about 467 metres of climbing and several steep climbs in there of 10% to 13%.

It was chilly ... got up to about 10°C and then dropped to about 8°C by the end of the ride. However, thankfully, the wind wasn't too bad. We stopped at one outlook to have a look at the ocean and watched surfers in the water. I know they've got wetsuits on, but I still think that would have been really cold.

And it was green!! Very green! We've had a lot of rain lately so everything is brilliant out there.

We haven't cycled in that particular area recently ... I haven't cycled there since 2004. Back then, it was a lot more rural and I remember thinking of it as out in the middle of nowhere. The roads were also really quiet ... and half in gravel. But now it is quite built up, the roads are paved (which is nice) but the traffic is quite heavy and it was like many of them weren't quite sure what to do about cyclists on the road. We have a 1.5 metre law here in Tasmania and most of the drivers gave us that, but a significantly higher percentage there, than in other places we've cycled, didn't. And there were a couple rather scary-driving incidents.

I was hoping it would be a really good route, but now I'm not sure how often we'll cycle in that area. Anyway, overall it was a good ride ... and a good workout.