Old 01-21-20, 11:22 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I really really really don't understand road season starting around here at the bottom of winter temps. Makes zero sense to me given all the venues the races use don't change in "usage" or "volume" by mid or late March versus the first week of February.
Not entirely true. For example, speedways get much more use in warmer months than in colder months. This proved an issue with weeknight races a few years ago. Now they don't happen.

Originally Posted by Cypress
I've talked with several promoters about this, as it happens in CO, MT, WA, and OR as well. They all say the same thing: "Nobody shows up for summer races. They are already burnt out, taking a break before cross season, or going on family vacations while the kids are out of school."

I've always argued that people are burnt out by summer because they just spent 5-6 months training, racing, and ruining their equipment in conditions that nobody wanted to be in to begin with.
Both are true.

OP: As long as my feet, hands and ears are OK, I can ride. I've gone out in the teens. and been fine.

But training in temps that cold isn't exactly ideal. 1. The colder, dryer air wreaks havoc on my lungs. If I go too hard, I will develop a nice hacking cough that prevents deep breathing and lasts a couple days. I remember after an early season race, there were four or five of us trying to have a conversation after the race, but none could talk because we all developed the hacking cough. And 2, my body is working so hard to stay warm, it makes it more difficult to hit my target numbers/efforts.

As a result, I find it more effective to just get on the trainer during the cold months.