Old 05-28-20, 06:19 PM
BigGuy305

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Very large guy here, beef up my trek 8.3 ds?

First of all thanks for any advice sent this way.

I bought this trek 8.3 ds xl size a couple years ago from a local bike shop after I walked in looking for something to ride on streets, side walks, and some bike paths with light gravel. I aLmost walked out with a 25” trek fx.

im nearly 390 pounds and 6’4-6’5. I don’t think it’s a bad bike but I think there’s some things I can do to suit me a little better. I haven’t ridden it unfortunately in a while and that’s my fault. Since I’ve had it I’ve changed the handle bar riser to try to make it slightly more upright and I’ve added stronger pedals. I want to get back in to riding it to try and get some exercise and fresh air. I’m not against getting another bike but I’m not sure I have the time to scour Craigslist and check out a bunch of other bikes so If that was the best course of action I’d end up buying new.

As it sits the tires are completely flat. I want to upgrade them and the tubes to something a little heavier duty and beefier. The same goes with potentially at least the rear wheel. It’s a 32 spoke 29 inch wheel. I feel like before even at a slightly lighter weight that when I sat on the bike the back tires and wheel would feel like they would want to scream. Can anyone point me in the right direction to upgrade these? Is there something I can buy off the shelf or from a web site ready to go that will fit? I know some people change the front fork too to something rigid. Mine has a lock out but it’s still feels kind of iffy. Lastly the seat could be a little more comfortable. Any suggestions?

is it worth doing any of these things to my current bike? I’m mainly looking for something that can take the abuse better with out going out and spending 1,000+ dollars.

I feel like if I walk in to the 2 closest bike stores to me they are just going to try to sell me the biggest bike they have in stock.

Last edited by BigGuy305; 05-28-20 at 06:24 PM.