Old 05-31-20, 12:21 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by BigGuy305
thanks for the tips I will check on that recall. The owner or the most recent bike shop I went to is going to build me a back wheel he said from a “40 hole velocity chucker rim with a sealed cartridge and 12
gauge spokes “. Does that sound about right? He said he has build wheels for many big dudes including football players etc. he seems to be pretty knowledgeable. I’d rather deal with someone local instead of just buying something online. Hopefully I won’t need to mess with the front wheel but I’m sure that would only keep it stronger.
Yeah, that'll do it.

Most wheelsets for "stouter" (than typical factory) builds seem to come with 36H, more or less. But usually the gauge of spokes is still 14ga or 15ga. Going to the Chukker (or similar rim, Dyad/Atlas/etc), 40H, tough 12ga spokes, 4-cross lacing ... and ensuring the build quality is as strongly and exactly done as can be ... it's hard to see how that wouldn't work well for you.

On the Trek DS, though, I'd recommend considering a wider rim. If willing to have much larger (wider) tires, the Velocity CliffHanger might be a suitable alternative. As compared to a 700x38 tire on the DS, at 6mm wider than the Chukker/Dyad/Atlas rims, the CliffHanger would give you the ability to effectively run 45mm-65mm tires. Higher volume, wider for better sidewall orientation (as compared to the skinnier factory rims with those 700x38s). It'll improve the ride quality, increase the "suspension" factor on rougher roads and with heavier loads. Ask your wheelbuilding guy about it. Very strong rim.