Old 02-11-15, 06:42 PM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by November Dave
I'd send them back, categorically. As much as we hate it, the norm is to fudge. We fudge, too, only it's in the direction of making sure no one gets a bad surprise.

If you've bought something based on weight, you must weigh it and confirm, and impose consequences if it comes in unacceptably heavier. Assuming you're comparing advertised specs to received product correctly, you've been lied to.

What constitutes unacceptably heavier? We see alloy rim weights vary +/- 15g/rim, carbon weight variance is more like +/- 10g/rim. Hubs and spokes do not vary by more than a gram or 3 per wheel. Our convention would be to create a stated weight based on the heaviest rim. Many do the median, many others find the lightest one ever made and use that. Again, if you are comparing specs correctly, there has never been a wheel set of that model that weighed anything close to what is stated, and that is definitely unacceptable.

And we don't really get too worked up over weight. It's spec-fudging that bothers us.
Dave speaks the truth. My Rail 52's weigh exactly as they were advertised (thanks for the great wheels).

A few years back, I bought a set of aluminum rims from a small reputable company and they turned out to weigh 80 grams more than advertised (I won't say which, they've been great wheels and 80 grams wasn't a deal breaker). I called the owner to ask about the variance and he apologized stating that different batches of the rims tended to weigh differently sometimes and they were working on making sure they were closer to the claimed weight. With November having proprietary molds, I reckon they can better insure the weights of what they sell.