Old 02-13-15, 07:15 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by greenlight149
how much suffering do you perceive when you are riding at or very close to FTP? how much is that suffering compared to how much more you can suffer?

i always thought that if you are suffering so much then you are probably going into the red, which will ultimately make you stop, but when riding at sustainable efforts ( eg. FTP), the amount of suffering that i personally experience doesn't seem to match what i read or see other peoples level of suffering.

am i just not pushing hard enough? i read that you should be super exhausted, nearly falling off your bike by the end of a FTP test, but i find if i push any harder i wouldnt be able to sustain the length of a FTP test, and if i back it off a bit then i dont feel like dying at the end ....

how much are you suffering?
Maybe I'm wrong here, but riding at FTP is slightly different from an FTP test. The standard 20 min FTP test takes your average power over that 20 min and multiplies it by .95. That implys that the 20 min test is (should be) at a level 1.05 times your FTP. This is what dunbar is saying
Riding at FTP should be hard, but not causing one to pass out. The FTP test should be very hard, with little to no energy left.