Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Rant about carb cycling

This thread is more a rant than a solicitation of advice

Been stalled out on weight loss for several months --

Have been following a NSNG (think paleo) diet plan all along -- not as strict as a monk , but definitely stricter than any "diet" I have ever followed - and its relatively easy to stay on track

I haven't seen the inside of a weight room in more than a year, and I thought to myself, -- if I can stimulate some positive muscle growth - that may fire up the furnace once again.

2 weeks into the gym work, I still find myself lethargic and very weak, so 2 days ago it occurred to me that I might need to re-introduce a few more carbs back into the mix to help fuel the gym work

I'm not talking about cakes and cookies , but I did eat a baked potato ----- the results turned out to be rather "explosive" - and not in a good way

I'm starting to feel a bit better in the gym but that could easily be attributed to some long dormant muscle memory beginning to kick in a bit as opposed to the extra influx of simple carbs
-- make no mistake, the NSNG approach still has carbs, - cruciferous vegetables, cheese, and I even have a beer or 3 on random occasions -- but this potato experience was surprising

I don't know if its because I got such a huge rush of extra carb calories at once that did me in, and if so, if it would be safe to continue with a few more, only perhaps a bit more spread out , say, cut the same potato into thirds and portion it out over the course of a day, or sub in some wheat toast or small pasta plate or something

-- or.... if I should just go back to my NSNG/Paleo drawing board and double down on eliminating unneeded calories

--- an occasional beer keeps me sane -- I'd rather cut out more dairy if it comes down to that -- but if I cut out everything but chicken and broccoli , I will not be a very fun person to live with for long

It feels at times as if I'm using my body as some kind of mad science experiment