View Single Post
Old 08-22-18, 08:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Thoughts....?
thoughts based on comments so far...

-The crankset is fugly.
-Aluminum fork?...I would be interested to learn why. Without knowing more- first judgement is that’s lame.
-Alivio RD? Really?...spend the extra $5 wholesale bulk and buy Deore for no other reason than the name on the RD.

-R3000 STI shifters are good quality. They are comfortable, reliable, and perform fine.
-Love the gear range. In a time when many brands and models come woefully mis-geared for loaded touring, this bike comes stock with great gearing.
-Spyre brakes, in my experience, are great mechanical brakes. I don’t have them though and my experience is limited to the bikes I have built and worked on for friends as well as my daughter’s MTB. I wasn’t aware(and don’t fully understand) elcruxio’s complaints, but am interested to read more on their downside.
- good to see front and rear racks standard. Bonus for them being quality ones at that.
- TA hubs are neither here nor there for me. They are a whatever. It’s the trend for disc brakes, so it makes sense that Trek uses them here.

ETA- $1575 is a tough pill to swallow. As each year passes, I find that building up a touring bike is a better deal as it allows you to spec exactly what you want and the cost difference is negligible to non-existent.
https://www.rei.com/product/122462/c...es-adv-11-bike $1300 gets a better crankset, higher level derailleurs, 10sp bar end shifters, HyRD hydraulic brakes, quality wheelset with TA hubs, and racks.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 08-22-18 at 08:50 AM.