Old 01-24-19, 08:16 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by stilllearning
First time posting a picture, so hopefully it shows.
I
I bought this all original 85/86 Ironman with Shimano 600 last April. I swapped out the handlebars and stem because of my long arms and lowered the gearing due to my affinity for hills. It is serving it's purpose well in helping me get a good workout, but I made the mistake of browsing through this thread and am now suffering from Ironman envy. As a result, I am wondering if there is something else I can do that would keep the low gearing and improve the looks.

It now has a 7 speed Shimano 14-28 freewheel and a Claris 50/34. I couldn't find any other compacts that would work with a 7 speed, but I'm not thrilled with how the Claris looks, which is prompting this post.

Is there a better looking compact crank that would work?
Do you think a triple would look better? (I have a Suntour V-GT Lux long cage derailleur)
What triple could I use without having to cold set the frame?
Or, should I just be happy with what I have as the Claris is an okay crank and doesn't look that bad?

Any suggestions will be appreciated! I wasn't sure if I should have posted this on the other Ironman thread, but since this is primarily about looks, I figured it would fit here.
These pictures have given me some great ideas for the bars, seat, etc. The color of the bike is not as catchy as others, but it is a solid bike and I like how it rides.

Brian
Pretty limitless on how and what you want to build. The cool thing is you have agreat starting point in the '86 Ironman.
Your Ironman looks good however for me i think (although there are exceptions) generally if you have a black crakset the deraileurs, seatpost, stem should match. But then again "Looks Smooks" performance is where its at.
I heed the advice of the good Doc and look at back pages for inspiration. Personally i have yet to go the compact route as my surrounding terrain doesnt warrant it but it could happen and when it does ill make sure it matches the previous one but then again Looks Smooks.