skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Some of these answers are ridiculous. We don't know what level of experience the OP has with bikes. The OP is simply doing research and asking experts for their opinions based on experience which is valid research. Asking questions to form baseline knowledge which leads to in depth research is certainly recognized as appropriate.

Perhaps someone who wants to write about the effects of combat on soldiers post combat psyches shouldn't interview soldiers but should enlist, volunteer for combat and then write. Reporters shouldn't ask sources for information nor should they interview witnesses and victims. if they want to know about conditions in jail they should get arrested. If they want to know about criminal assault, they should get beaten up. Maybe the OP should buy a bike and ride until it needs a repair (perhaps years later) and then report. Again...RIDICULOUS!

The REAL SPAM ON THIS SITE is the non-responsive posts that merely criticize but ADD NOTHING to the discussion.

BTW...I'm a university professor who has done and sponsored research so I write from fact based experience, not opinionated supposition.

+1 on the suggestion that the OP post to the bike mechanic forum instead.
True for the most part, but I'm looking at it from the perspective of having to occasionally teach firefighters and cops (both being pretty insular groups of folks) about hazardous materials and industrial chemical processes. I don't use 'lingo' and acronyms to describe things, and I stress to them not to do it either or they'll just confuse the listener and could confuse other groups who are present at an emergency incident. I didn't know what the NEA GCSE was, so looked it up; its somewhat like the GED programs here in the USA. I'm not sure how much the OP looked around the Bikeforums website, but maybe he/she might have seen its primarily a USA-centric site, so could have included a link in his/her post to what the NEA GCSE is. And there's a regular stream of posts that seek (what seems like) some pretty basic information for college-level research, almost appearing like the poster just found out what a bicycle is.