View Single Post
Old 10-10-19, 08:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Lab4Us
Two 60 pound Staffy mixes and just rescued a 6 mo old boxer. First Staffy gets walked 1-2 miles, second 2-3 miles, both 4-5 times a week. Boxer will probably be on three 2-3 mile schedule. So lots of walking! I知 in West Texas. Perfectly normal to hit 50 degree (F) highs mid winter. We walk all through the winter, just later in the day. I致e been walking first two since adopted (#1 2015, #2 2017), increasing distance over time. Not near as aerobic as the biking, but enough to make me sweat and get the heart rate up. Plus if I知 really adventurous, #2 will run with me any distance I like and I知 strong enough to control his speed on leash. And I think I値l be able to out a couple times a week on the bike to at least maintain.

Should have mentioned above, first two stents were 2010 @ 52, third was 2013 @ 55. So I致e been exercising regularly post surgery a while, mostly walking. The bike is a great change of pace, just wanted to explain why I知 okay with shorter distances. I shoot for 30 minute minimum and if I知 feeling good at that point, 10 miles is my goal. I知 still acclimating to bike, trying to find right seat fore/aft and preventing hand numbness around the 6-7 mile mark (without constantly lifting them off the bars).

I do absolutely appreciate the support!
With that history, approaching any change in activity level with some caution seems wise.

Hand numbness at 6-7 miles does indicate to me you've got a problem with fit/position and I assume you've probably read up a bit on preventing that. Have you tried putting bar ends on? I use them for long rides on my FX 3, and it gives me at least two additional hand positions. Bontrager uses a non-standard size for some of its handlebars, so you might have to buy adapters as well as the bar ends.