Old 05-05-20, 05:36 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
I generally disagree, though that might be true of the 520.

It's seems true that no one bike (or one anything) will do everything exceptionally well. It can't be both exceptionally light and fast, and also stable and durable. It can't be both a great, fast road-bike and a great off-road bike, etc.

But one bike can be reasonably good for many applications even if it isn't great for everything. A good touring bike can be reasonably efficient, durable, reliable, and usable for a variety of roads and terrain even if it doesn't do any of these things exceptionally well. An efficient road-bike can't handle gravel and single-track, while a mountain bike won't be efficient on pavement.

Unless you're someone who wants a bike for every need/occasion (I'm not), many of us just want something suitable for many applications even if it doesn't do any single thing exceptionally well. For many of us simplicity and functionality are paramount, which is why I prefer simple and functional bar-end shifters over brifters. There is very little that can go wrong with bar-ends and they are easy to field-service. If an integrated shifter brakes in the field, you're pretty much SOL.
I know this post was old but wanted to reply to it anyway.

My thoughts after using the bike a while is that I am really pleased with how versatile the bike. I haven't been able to tour on it yet (just got it in winter and COVID is complicating plans) but I have been very happy with it as a commuter and a general city bike.

It performs well on light gravel travels even with the stock tires and I have a set of Schwalbe G-ones on the way as well to try on some slightly rougher trails.

I've had my road bike out once or twice since I have gotten the Trek and for the first few minutes I enjoy how nimble it feels and and how supple and fast the Michelin power endurance tires feel but after a short period that feeling goes away and I am left with a harsher ride that is only marginally faster.

I am considering consolidating down to only the one bike.