View Single Post
Old 05-16-20, 07:41 AM
DraftDodger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An American in China

I didn't get a car until i had a child at 25. Up until then my bike was my transportation.

We were a cycling family and extended family, traveling locally in the midwest for organized rides.

Another divorce after 20 years and return to school, permitted an exploration to cycling as my main transportation, but I had moved to Las Vegas....New Mexico. Definitely not bike friendly.

For some years later I played with giving up my car, but always found an excuse not to until I left the country and sold my car with other belongings.

I lived in a place where entire families used one bike as transport. For many a car was not an option. Imagine everyone im China owning a car.
I was always looked at suspiciously in the states when I declared wanting a car free life. It is ok to bike if you hoist it on a vehicle and drive it to a trail, or do so in packs or on the weekend.

I'm now back in the states and decidely carfree for the last 8 years. Unfortunately last year I broke my bike and leg while riding.

I am not so sure as time progresses on a 58 year old body with a injured leg that I will continue my car free life. I'm not as fearless as I was a year ago, and I think committing to being carfree takes a certain amount of courage.

I hope to use the bike in my rehabilitation, but I can't even find one in the age of COVID.