View Single Post
Old 05-21-20, 04:02 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Yeah, I'm an LBS mechanic but I really try not to put out bad vibes on people's inexpensive bikes. It's cool to have "cycling culture" and also not be a jerk to people who just want to ride a modestly priced, functional bike sometimes.The biggest problem with Walmart bikes is assembly. The FS bikes are also just really inadvisable from a fundamental design perspective most of the time also. When Walmart bikes come in the shop I try not to sink too much time in them coming up with a large service plan when the owner (rationally) doesn't want to spend much on the bike, but I'm always happy to relate various recommended services and their costs and let the owner decide. Really cheap suspension forks aren't cheaper and are definitely just worse than rigid forks though, and even on a cheap Walmart bike with mostly poor quality components I wouldn't just throw another cheap fork on. Probably the cheapest forks that are at least decent are the Suntour XCT forks that are basically ubiquitous on $500-$600 LBS bikes, and really those are mostly good for making the bike more comfortable to ride--I still would personally prefer a rigid fork to them.
Likes For cpach: