View Single Post
Old 11-29-15, 08:57 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey
Exactly. I'd add to that that going UL also usually comes with a lot of planning. If you're carrying less, you scrutinize every detail because you have less room for error.
I think that is very true. I have gone over my list hundreds (thousands?) of times and given it huge amounts of thought with actual longish trips in between iterations. As a result I feel that while I have less stuff, I am more sure of having the right stuff than most folks. Then there is the ease of finding an item among your gear when you are carrying only very limited number of items.

Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff
For me its just about making the ride more fun. When I take my bike out for a quick pleasure ride witu no luggage on it, I love how it accelerates and handles. Packing lighter makes it feel closer to that.
To me that is a huge reward. I always wonder at how folks can ask why anyone would want to go lighter. I guess that not everyone has the same appreciation for that more unladen ride. Folks can and should ride and carry what they enjoy though, whether that is UL, UH, or something in between.

There is also the pleasure of a simpler routine with the minimum of possessions and therefore choices. Again, if folks don't share that aesthetic, that is fine, but I am surprised that some don't get why someone else might.