Old 12-26-08, 09:25 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Baby, it's cold outside....

Between work, illness and weather I have not been out on a bike in three weeks (12/6). Because of the extended layoff I must admit I was feeling a bit lethargic, and had more than a touch of ennui. However, good sense (and a good natured push by the wife) got me out the door.

Even though I was wearing my normally adequate winter attire of knickers, long sleeve base layer, jersey, and full-fingered gloves, I didn't get half a mile before having to stop and put on my reserve jacket. Dang - it was nippy out under that clear blue sky!

After about 4-5 miles, I was wondering if I'd made a mistake, and fought urges to turn around and go home. Realizing that I felt sluggish precisely because I had been sitting around the house too much as it was, I pressed on. After all, Starbucks was only a 6 mile ride - I could certainly make that.

By the time I hit the first Starbucks, I was feeling much more in tune, and so passed it and pressed on. At 11 miles, I stopped for a coffee and a muffin at Peet's Coffee. I felt much better after that, and decided that instead of turning for home I'd make a bona-fide loop out of it.

So, I started out with renewed vigor and decided to tackle some light climbing. Along the way, I explored new neighborhoods, got dead-ended once or twice, and eventually made it back to more familiar roads back toward the house.

One more stop (for hot chocolate!) at a different Peet's in Danville at mile 26, and I made the final milk-run to home and hearth.

It never got over 50 degrees, so I suffered a bit in a chill breeze for most of the day. My two best riding buddies bailed on me, and I sure could have used the company as it was hard to shake off the holiday induced lethargy. But, after I got into the rhythm of things it worked out for the best.

Al told, a little over 31 miles and ~2,000' of climbing.

Diablo, as seen from a new (to me) neighborhood:

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 12-27-08 at 01:25 PM.