View Single Post
Old 03-06-11, 09:50 AM
Tony N.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry everyone for the confusion. I meant sports drinks like NUUN,Poweraid, and Gatoraid. I have tired to dilute with water a lot (higher than 50%) and still get the burning in my throat shortly after my first drink. I have the same problem with fruit juices like orange juice, cranberry juice, etc. Beautiful wifey says they have too much ascorbic acid. I like to drink my 50%+ mixter along with my water for any ride above 70 degrees and over an hour long. Miles don't matter to me, it is the time in the saddle that counts as miles may be more or less depending on the hills. Don't ever drink high caffiene drinks like red bull and stay away from soft drinks like coke. Thanks for the replies but delution is what I've been doing with no results. Usually after my workout, I drink Vita CoCo 100% coconut water. It advertises more electrolytes than leading sports drinks and 15 times the potassium but I think it must stay refrigerated. Can't imagine what it would tast like hot on a ride. Beanz, you might want to watch the potassium lost if you ride in hot temps for 50 miles and only drink water. You can lose potassium at an alarmiing rate thru sweat and it takes a while to build it up again. Been there done that.
Thanks again for the replies. Anyone have the acid indigestion with these types of drinks? I have my semi-annual physical this week so will talk to doc about it but don't want another pill to take dailly as advertised on tv.