Old 03-13-19, 08:39 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by seajaye
I'm bailing from the Electronics thread on <a href="https://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/1166649-garmin-edge-520-plus-woes.html#post20835945">Garmin Edge 520+ Woes</a> because I wasn't really getting useful answers. Questions below. After re-reading through this thread, and my understanding of the 520+ as a regular 520 plus proper mapping, it sounds like removing mapping from my 520+, and using the below settings should solve most of my problems? The time it takes to load a course up has really been killing me, and I am not sure if it is best to have to deal with this several times (e.g. after every controle for short legs) or just once at the beginning (loading an entire course and knowing I won't be able to nav via GPS, just CPS and following others during the opening leg until it is done processing).<br /><br />"Course Points -&gt; ON"<br />"Turn Guidance -&gt; OFF"
Yes. Try it!!

You shouldn't need to "remove the mapping" (whatever that means). Using the settings you listed should be enough.

A few points....

* The 520+ is a small device with a small battery. There is a trade-off (there is always a trade off). With the 520+ (and the 820), the trade off is a slower CPU. (The 1030 is much faster.)

* The 520+ should be fine calculating medium-sized routes (62.5 miles). My ancient 800 had no issues calculating centuries. (I'm note sure if it's reasonable to expect these devices to deal with 250+ mile routes.)

* The route calculation (the thing that is taking time) is only done with "turn guidance" enabled.

* The route calculation takes more time with longer courses (obviously) but it doesn't seem to be linear. That is, calculating a route in 4 pieces might be faster than calculating the route in its entirety.

* Even if it's linear, it's generally more manageable to wait 5 minutes four times than it is to wait 20 minutes once. (Get into the habit of starting the calculation before you do other stuff.)

* Since you might need to restart a route, it's a good idea to split it up.

* "GPS" refers to determining your location. You are using GPS with "course points" and "turn guidance" (these things are "add ons" to GPS).

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-13-19 at 09:25 PM.