Old 04-06-20, 12:50 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
~

I put a Pletscher double-legged stand on my Surly before my most recent tour (with the proper mounting bracket, of course). It's been the best $50 I spent on anything, maybe ever. For the first few years and several thousand miles of loaded touring, I didn't bother; I just found something to lean the bike against. But I like to tour in the desert southwest (I'm from New England) where you can't actually count on having things to lean against. And sometimes the things you do have are either thorny, or surrounded by thorns.

Having a center stand has only had benefit; to be able to stop anywhere, to make any kind of adjustment to gear or bike, and have 360 degree access while doing it has really raised the quality of life on the road. I was really happy when I could fix a rear flat without even removing my panniers.

The Pletscher is rated for 55 lbs / 25kg. The dry weight of my bike and gear is around 70 lbs /32 kg; add to that food and water for two-day stretches of desert, and the stand did well to support 105 lbs / 48 kg (I left a few camps with 14 liters of water on the bike). I've just been careful not to subject the stand to more forces than the weight of the rig. Pick the bike straight up when opening and closing the stand, don't lean on it, don't roll it, twist it, etc.

Of course people can do whatever they want, but I just can't see the reason not to have one when loaded touring any more.

~

Last edited by Brett A; 04-06-20 at 12:53 PM.
Likes For Brett A: