Old 04-09-20, 10:41 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Good test. I think if holding your stand in your hand you think it weighs next to nothing your mind set is probably such that it won't matter, to you at least. Others with a different mind set will hold it and immediately discard the notion of putting it back on. The simple act of holding it in your hand may help decide which type of rider you are.

For those of us who care about reducing the load it is one of about a thousand decisions each of which add up. In that context where decisions over fractional ounces add up it is one of the larger ones. It is a significant amount of weight to be in one small decision of many. I figure that my going from 50# base gear weight to 14# of base gear weight was about half about big ticket items and about half about worrying about the tiny decisions sweating every fractional ounce and the average stand isn't even a tiny decision wrt weight.

So it all comes down to how much value you place on the utility of having a stand vs how much you care about the load you carry. I think most riders find themselves pretty clearly on one side or the other and their decision is generally easy.
I think this nails it. For me, the extra pound or so just won't matter considering the value of being able to flop down a stand and hold my bike up. All is takes is one slight breeze to blow a bike leaning on something, and down it goes. Laying my bike down either gets all of my bags dirty or scuffed. And being able to access stuff in my rear bags without having to manage the upright position of the bike at the same time is what turns the tide for me. I still believe I'll order the double stand. I totally understand the weight savings of not having one, but I really like that convenience and will pay the price. I can afford to lose a few pounds anywho....