Old 10-13-17, 11:19 AM
Fiend606

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like some advice(Giant Escape 2 City Disc)

I'm new and relatively ignorant of quality of specific parts and so on. I'm currently 290lb and dropping(I started at 330 in June). I'm 6 feet 3 inches tall(32 inch inseam) and wide shoulders(also wide feet/2E). I'd like to get a bike for commuting/general transportation and fitness. I've been lurking a bit. I have a general idea of what I want. Initially when I was 330 I thought I'd save up for a Worksman Commuter but after reading around the internet/yelp and hearing about their poor customer service and seeming high error rate on orders to individual buyers I can't bring myself to risk that much money and hope for a good outcome. My next consideration after reading around was to buy a Trek FX2 disc or maybe a FX3 disc and then add on the accessories I want(fenders, racks, ect). Then I saw the Giant Escape 2 City Disc and it pretty much has most of what I think I want on a bike out of the box but I can't find a spec for how much weight it can carry and I'm not sure if the components are good quality. . I would really appreciate some input and advice on this or recommendations of alternative bikes similar to those I've already listed that will hold up to someone my size.

I have been losing about 10 pounds a month and the bike will be used to get to a gym that is 2.5 miles from my home as well as to work and to other local trips(within 5 miles). I don't have a car and bus service is horrible where I live so I'd need to take two buses and buy a transfer to get to the gym which would cost me about 7 bucks round trip and take over an hour each way while I could ride to the gym on a bike in about 20 minutes. I work a 25 minute walk from my home. The weight loss was initiated by my job working in a major shipping facility handling packages 4 to 6 hours a night(lifting 70 to 150 pound packages) and as a result I've changed my diet to a much healthier one and still improving it as I go. It will be another month or two before I could afford the bike purchase so I might be 280 or less by the time I actually pull the trigger. I figure with the bike and being able to join a gym things would speed up slightly in the general fitness department.

Sorry, I would have posted a direct link to the Giant Escape 2 City Disc(2018) but I don't have a sufficient post count yet to do so.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Fiend606; 10-13-17 at 11:29 AM. Reason: clarity