Old 02-23-18, 07:49 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiend606
I'm still intending to get the Giant Escape 2 City Disc unless the bike shop can steer me in another direction. Some of the Specialized bikes interested me briefly since they come with 36 spoke rear wheels and 32 spoke front wheels but they would require adding on fenders,kick stand, rack(s). I saved up close to what I need but turns out my tax return should cover it so in about 3 weeks I'm going to hit the bike stores and pull the trigger. I did have the money earlier but was holding off due to weather and then life happened and I had to divert those funds elsewhere but I'm back on track again now. I'm down to 246 as far as weight goes so I think the bike is going to be a better fit for me now than when I originally posted. I'll probably be closer to 240 by then.
You are getting down to a weight where the 32 spoke wheels might be OK. And if they are not, you might need to get yourself a 36 spoke back wheel. Or not. On the other hand, rack and fenders are not a huge expense, either. I would focus on which bike you like better, and which shop offers the best service. If it is a straight up draw, then pick the bike that is the nicest color. (sounds trivial, but you will enjoy riding a bike more if it makes you smile every time you look at it)

Last edited by MRT2; 02-23-18 at 07:56 AM.