View Single Post
Old 06-19-15, 06:16 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
The (Temporary) Gift of an Allez

A good friend gave me his bike while he's off to live in New York City for the next few or several years. I'm not sure of the year, although my friend thinks it's a 1985 model. He picked it up for a song and maybe he should have have waited for another tune, because it doesn't fit him. Apparently the bike was ridden only occasionally by the original owner and it sat inside his house when not on the road for the past three decades. My friend has put a few hundred miles on it over course of the last year.

While the bike could use some cleaning, everything seemed to work well when I put a half-dozen miles on it last night. Much of what's on the bike seems to be original, including the front tire (and tube) and Suntour components. The brake hoods are new. I've added the pedals and clips. The original bike came with some Look pedals. From an old catalog, I think the saddle and probably at least the rims were changed out at some point.

The bike looks like it could have been used in the American Flyers film. I may have to pick up a Hell of the West jersey.

I want to retire the 700c tires, and put one some similar, gumwall-like tires. The Specialized Turbo Cotton tires look good but are extremely pricey. Any suggestions?

Last edited by icyclist; 06-24-15 at 01:28 AM.
Likes For icyclist: