Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
To clarify my comment above where I stated that "I can't understand why some need to trespass," I use the term wild camping if it is in a location where camping is allowed and stealth camping for places where you are camping where it is not allowed.

If you are not trespassing and camping there is allowed, there is no need for stealth. But I understand the reasoning behind staying out of sight if you are legal but wish to stay unobserved. But I still call that wild camping instead of stealth camping. Perhaps I define the terms differently than others.
I tend to call camping outside designated camping areas bush camping or wild camping. The only stealthy part about it is the idea that we do wish to remain unobserved, perhaps because we like the idyllic setting and don't want to be disturbed by others. Also when we leave we will make every attempt to ensure that the spot doesn't look like someone has been camping there.

In Canada and here in Australia, there are many places where a person could quietly and legally pitch for the night.

That said, I generally prefer designated camping areas.