Old 12-03-19, 09:53 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I hear about this a lot. Yet somehow it hasn't impacted me in the slightest. My mother taught me not be impolite and to treat everyone with respect. Those simple lessons have served me well throughout my life.

And I don't pay attention to people who are outraged on the internet. So there's no one actually telling me how to run my life. I'm sure there are any number of people who wouldn't approve of how I run my life, but I don't consult them. So I'm really not seeing this great oppression you speak of. The scourge of political correctness seems a bit mythical.
I agrre in part with what you wrote.

There are places, especially in academia, where people self-censor for fear of offending the PC crowd. When people are afraid to speak out for fear of offending the PC crowd and risk adverse consequences democracy loses and academia suffers.

The answer to speech we don’t like (or approve of) is not censorship (whether institutionalized or self-imposed). The answer is more speech. Let ideas live or die in the marketplace of free intellectual exchange. This is the opposite of what the PC crowd seeks to do. They seek to stifle all ideas and all debate that does not conform to their notions of right and wrong.

My parents brought me to the US, from our native Cuba, so I could live in a country where I am free to speak my mind without fear of oppressors.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia: