View Single Post
Old 04-18-18, 01:22 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
For the last few years I've been using an o_sync Navi2coach and am pretty happy with it. It's quite solid, never lost a recording. It's button operated, can be recharged with a standard micro USB cable (i.e. like most Android phones) and the battery can be user replaced if it gets too old. Navigation by bread crumb trail works well. Absolutely no issues with rain, even when charging.

Drawbacks:
- About once a year I had to factory reset because the file system got corrupted after I completely emptied the folder holding recorded activities.
- Only one of my set of ANT+ speed/cadence sensors works well with it, two different models I tried never worked well. Currently I use GPS reckoning for distance and speed only. YMMV.
- good distributor support.

Before that I used to have a Garmin Edge 500.

The 500 had a barometric altimeter, which the more basic 200 didn't have (I think). I prefer buttons over touch screen for a GPS (e.g. when using winter gloves or a rain cover). The new 5xx / 8xx / 1xxx models use touch screens. They have a lot of functionality that I don't need and many if not most models have serious firmware issues (e.g. random reboots on long rides) from what I hear.

On the down side, I lost too many recordings on the 500 after hours of riding. Needing a special cable to charge while recording is a pain and if the cable comes loose while charging and recording, it may actually end the recording! I know several people who were very unhappy with its water resistance (i.e. the 500 died on them). In the end I got totally fed up with the firmware bugs and sold it.

Last edited by joewein; 04-18-18 at 01:29 AM.