Old 09-01-15, 09:38 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Anyone know what the TPI of the Felt's casing is?

Vittoria makes tires with posted 130 psi max pressure recommendations. It's new to me to see clinchers with numbers like these on sidewalls so I was interested to do a little web-based research.

An ideal tire pressure, according to Vittorria, is a function of tire construction (e.g., Nylon 127 TPI), type of tire (clincher), the rider's weight (e.g., 209 or more) and the type of road surface (e.g., dry/smooth). Vittoria has an App that uses this information, which they say applies to all tires).

Based on the above factors, Vittoria's App determines the beginning point. In their view, finding the ideal pressure, however, depends on riding style and simply trying it out in the field.

My guesses based on the App and that the tires accommodate 130 psi is that Felt's clincher probably is Nylon construction in the range of 127-150 TPI (e.g., they could be more expensive higher TPI tires and according to the app the starting point would then be a little less than the starting point below unless a radial construction is employed to fabricate the tire).

Assuming they're not 220 TPI tires, Vittoria's App puts the starting point for me at: 125 psi (FRONT) and 130 psi (BACK). For lighter riders and rougher or wetter roads the starting point will be less.