View Single Post
Old 09-02-20, 11:29 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Yes and no. If someone's being a menace to other road users, by all means report them. But just don't be surprised if nothing happens. Like the old saying goes, there's never a cop around when you need one. Just the other evening someone was running a quad 4-wheeler (bigger than a standard 4-wheeler, like a car but open and smaller) up & down the street in front of our house at probably 50 MPH. Of course they were long gone and probably parked by the time the sheriff's deputy showed up. I don't blame the police, they're often understaffed and dealing with higher priority calls, and driving complaints are low-priority. So yeah, if they happen to be in the area and catch them, good. But I don't expect miracles. And often even if they find the offending vehicle but they're not driving recklessly when the police see them, there's little they can do.
I agree with each of your points. I should add that, if possible, having the motorist's license plate number can help. At least once (that I can recall), an officer took that info from me and went to the motorist's home to have a chat about the rules of the road. But, yeah, in a busier city, and/or a different police officer, perhaps nothing would've come of it.
Likes For Koyote: