View Single Post
Old 09-10-20, 10:06 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by cvrle1
Interesting take from another person I read. His thought is that it makes no sense for me to do this, as main reason people do these builds is to control every component they select. They know why make x/model x is better choice than make y/model y, Since I dont have than knowledge, there is no point of building it myself. While I never thought of it that way, it kinda does and does not make sense. I get what he is saying, but in all honesty I dont remember reading in any threads that main reason people built these bikes was because they can control each nut and bolt used. Is he correct in his view?

Thanks again for all the help and info so far.
I like working on bikes. It's that simple. So building my own is just the natural order of things. Yes, I did hand pick each component.
Building your own is not some anal compulsive itch to scratch, though, I suppose for some it may be, but creating something yourself and learning in the process brings a sense of accomplishment.
I come from the old school, where your dream bike was hand built by a frame master and measurements were taken, questions were asked and in a few months you had your dream bike.
Today I see incredible amounts of money spent on clone bikes made by anonymous factory workers, from who knows where.
So, building my own, just keeps that personal touch.
Plus it's good to know that no matter what breaks on my bike, I am capable of repairing it.
Likes For MarcusT: