View Single Post
Old 09-11-20, 10:24 AM
cvrle1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
While the idea of a clean-sheet build has a certain 'I made it myself' appeal, unless you've got a really specific plan, or a couple key 'signature' components, we've seen a lot of first-time builders get lost down the rabbit hole of availability or compatability that takes more time, money and/or skill to get out of than they want to spend. Getting the big parts like wheels, bars, and driveline is pretty easy, it’s the little stuff like seat posts, headsets, cable jewelry and other small parts that can nickel and dime a build to a standstill.

Take a look at what kind of riding you're doing with your current bike, and what it is and isn't good at. Maybe a whole other style of bike might be in order. A lot of today's niche bikes are very similar (functionally) to bikes that have been around for decades, if you do some mods and component swaps. Modding older bikes can also let you build a fleet of 'mission-specific' bikes for a fraction of the cost of new or nearly-new machines.

Fat-tire Drop-bar Fire-road / Adventure bike?An MTB from the 7/8/9 speed era would be a good start, there are a lot of them around, they’re sturdy, versatile, and many of them were pretty well spec’ed. If you can find an XC race bike (NORBA era) they'll be fast, light, and tough, too. Swap in some 'Dirt-Drop' bars, a short stem, and brifters or barcons, and you're ready to shred some gravel.

If a classy, swept-back cafe-racer / path-bike is what you’re after, then look for a Japanese road bike from the late 70’s -early 80’s, Add a Brooks saddle, and North Roads bars (or Moustache bars, if you're feeling daring) Filigree and pinstriping depends on whether you're going for the British, French or Italian style. Skinny Jeans will be required.

Need speed and style? Try updating a classic racing bike with modern wheels and running gear. There was a 1989 Cannondale Black Lightning on here a couple years back that had been updated to full (2017-spec) Shimano R5800 group (in black-on-black, of course) That bike was a rocket back in the day, but this made it not only faster, but easier to ride, too.
Actually, it's often easier to do a radical overhaul on an older race bike, because they were a little more 'standard' than modern, Aero / 'Superbikes' that may be designed to only use a specific component / group / setup.
Thanks a bunch for this info. I actually just happen to have a Cannondale R600-Sport from 2001 as my road bike currently. I was playing around with idea of upgrading it before, but heard it makes no sense, as it will cost as much as just buying a newer bike with components that I would want. As an example I have 9 speed cassette right now, and would really like to swap it for 11 speed. But to do that I need to swap a lot of other parts as well to make it work. Was told dont bother, just get bike with 11 speed cassette, it will be easier and cheaper. It seems that there are always going to be more than 1 schools of thought, if you will, about upgrading vs buying newer or building from ground up vs buying new.