Old 09-18-20, 08:13 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I can see both sides.

If you don't want to do a lot of prep work a ready made frameset is nice. With a good eye, patience and elbow grease you can strip and refinished an old school rigid mtb for $50-$100. That savings allows me to add components to my bikes like Brooks saddles, good tires and nice grips if I choose.

I enjoy the process of the latter as a hobby in itself so the price differential is too great for me, but I don't look down on others who see it different.
Sure, of course, old frames are usually perfectly roadworthy. But if you look at a Riv, and look at the alternatives, they are downright bargains - if you want a new frame, and you like their frames. (Rim brakes, loads of tire clearance, etc.) I wouldn't mind having one just for the "wow" factor, because they really are gorgeous -- and for a particular set of preferences, they are terrific machines. But I already have a bike to fill that niche.

I'm gonna bet that the OP has never seen a Riv in person. I've never seen one that was short of stunning.

Last edited by Koyote; 09-18-20 at 08:31 PM.