View Single Post
Old 12-08-20, 11:18 PM
John Bramson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Bike Forums Terms

Hello all, when I started lurking on bike forums I noticed that there were many terms or abbreviations that people use. It admittedly took me awhile to figure out what most of these meant, so I thought I should make a post explaining the ones I can remember off the top of my head and inviting everyone to contribute.

BF - Bike Forums
LBS - Local Bike Store
OP - Original Poster
N + 1 - N means your current fleet of bikes & +1 means that you should add a bike to your fleet while still keeping all the rest.
+1 - This means that a person agrees with whatever is said. Normally they will quote the reply that they agree with.
MHR - Maximum heart rate
RHR - Resting heart rate
BPM - Beats per minute
ERD - Effective rim diameter
OLD - Over locknut dimension
FD - Front Derailleur
RD - Rear Derailleur
FH - Freehub
FW - Freewheel
BB - Bottom Bracket
TT - Top Tube or Time Trial
ST - Seat Tube
CTC - Center To Center (usually referring to the center of the crank to the center of the top tube)
CTT - Center To Top (usually referring to center of the crank to the top of the seat tube
FG - Fixed Gear (not fixie)
SS - Single Speed
JIS - Japanese Industrial Standards (a common cross head screw used on Shimano and other derailleurs)
NJS - Nihon Jitensha Shinkōkai (or the Japanese Keirin Association they standardize track bike parts in Japan for keirin/track betting races and used to oversee the races)
BSO - Bicycle Shaped Object (low end stuff from big box stores and non-bicycle online retailers)
NDS - Non-Drive Side (the side of the bike which doesn't have a chain. chainring(s), cog(s) and possibly derailleur(s) on it)
DS - Drive Side (the other side which has all that stuff typically on most bikes it is the right side)
FTP - Functional Threshold Power and is effectively a measure of the power you can hold for an hour, measured in watts
TSS. - Training Stress Score (TSS) is a composite number that takes into account the duration and intensity of a workout to arrive at a single estimate of the overall training load and physiological stress created by that training session
VOM - V O2 Max
And a few other specific to training
KOM. - King of the Mountain (Stava app)
PR - Personal Record (Strava app)
I B T L - In before the lock
FIFY - fixed it for you (another general message board abbreviation; used when quoting someone and changing a part of the quote, usually for comedic purposes)

IGH - internally geared hub
DF - diamond frame (the classic bike frame consisting of two adjacent triangles when viewed from the side)
CF - carbon fiber
bent - recumbent bicycle
LMGTFY - "Let me Google that for you" (when someone posts a question they could easily look up themselves).
TBDMN - Too bad didn't make the news

Please let me know of any I missed, I'm sure there are quite a few .

List of contributors (this may be outdated, sorry) - veganbikes, 79pmooney, dedhed, rsbob, Reynolds, subgrade, Wildwood, Rolla, mcours2006, & Happy Feet.

Last edited by John Bramson; 12-10-20 at 06:44 AM.