Old 12-10-20, 12:14 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
So when I shift into the small ring in a climb, it's such a drastic change that I spin my legs like an idiot while I shift the RD back into a harder gear.
Is there a better technique to this? When I shift into the big ring, I simultaneously shift the RD 3 times and by the time it takes for the FD to get the chain on the big ring, I'm comfortably in a gear on the RD that makes it all a smooth transition.... Shifting in to the small ring... not so much; the change from the big ring to the small ring happens so fast that I don't have time to make the change on the RD (without stressing the gears by shifting under power).
To make matters worse, it's usually when climbing up a hill and I lose some amount of momentum doing it.
Any tips on shifting to the small ring efficiently for a climb?
I think you just need to work on your routine - start shifting the RD before you shift the FD. Ease up on the pedaling as you do this so you're not crunching anything. I don't know if you can dump multiple gears with your current setup*, because that's a big plus if you can. If not, start dropping the RD and drop the FD midway through the process. Another possibility is to shift to the small ring just before you hit the hill, so you don't lose as much momentum. Depending on your gearing, you might be able to use a small-ring gear combination to maintain speed, even if you're cross-chaining for a short while.
*don't know if this is possible with Shimano cable-actuated drivetrains. I run Campagnolo 10sp, which allows me to dump up to 5 gears, or to upshift 3, at one time. I also have a relatively narrow chainring difference (39/51) which helps

Last edited by Litespud; 12-10-20 at 12:20 PM.
Likes For Litespud: