Old 12-17-20, 08:58 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Many stores have very generous return policies, but sadly some people abuse them horribly. On another forum, there were tales of people returning lawnmowers to Home Depot in November, caked with grass from a whole season of use. Then they turn right around and buy a snowblower, which of course they'll return in May when it comes time to mow the grass!

Or the guy who returned some tires to Macy's.... Macy's of course doesn't sell tires, but the customer was obnoxious enough that eventually they had to summon a manager who was able to look up the price (at another store apparently) and then gave the customer however much money that was.

Worst I've seen personally was the guy I used to know who was constantly buying expensive stuff, then returning it within the 30-day return window. Like fancy high-end DSLR cameras.... Every photographer knows of B&H Photo, right? This guy would buy a new camera and lens, take it on vacation with him, then promptly return it the day after he got home. Or sometimes he'd buy expensive items, like leather jackets for example, but he'd get buy two sizes. He'd wear both for awhile and then return whichever one didn't fit as well. Somehow I doubt any of this stuff can get put back into inventory as "New".

He's now a small-business owner himself. I wonder how he'd feel if his customers did the same?
I worked at Brookstone’s for a couple of years, when they still had their unconditional return policy. We had several customers who would buy the bug zapper light ( those blue bulbed insect fryers); use them continuously for a season and then place them, completely full of bug carcasses, back in the original box for a full refund. They essentially rented them for a season. I believe that Brookstone no longer has an unconditional return policy...