View Single Post
Old 12-17-20, 11:39 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcox
I've never had something this egregious. I've definitely had my share of made up excuses and plagiarism cases (my favorite is a student denying plagiarism when you show them the original article, complete with matching footnotes), but I'll take students over parents any day. I did particularly enjoy the student continually claiming he was misadvised when I had full records of meetings; the parent complained, FERPA. Parent mad about FERPA is going to to confront me with the student; student waives FERPA, I show parent emails / advising notes. Parent turns lots of interesting shades of red. Immediately realizes that the perfect child had been lying for a very long time.
My wife is an Academic Dean...Before that, was Assoc Dean at another school for many years. You wouldn't believe how many parents simply won't accept that the kid is lying, even when confronted with solid proof.

When our kid started at University, my goal was to never, ever, call anyone at the school for anything: not a prof, not the financial aid director or accounts payable staff, no one. Didn't want to be one of "those" parents. She graduated last May, and mission accomplished.
Likes For Koyote: